CRACKED WHEAT (or BARLEY) CEREAL, serves 2
- Crack 1/2 cup of wheat or barley berries in blender (45+ sec on high speed, depending on desired texture). Or grind coarsely in hand mill.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to boil in a saucepan.
- Stir cracked berries into boiling water, and immediately turn down heat.
- Simmer 20-25 min until desired texture attained.
- Add dried fruit and/or nuts, as desired.
COOKED WHEAT OR BARLEY BERRIES
Bring 1 c of wheat or barley berries to a boil with 2 c of water (or broth), and simmer covered until done (about an hour). Drain off excess water. Use as a pilaf, or with stir-fry instead of rice.
WHOLE GRAIN CHICKEN SOUP
Add 1 cup of wheat or barley berries to 2 1/2 cups of liquid (1-2 c broth; the rest water) and bring to a boil. Add chopped carrots. Simmer for an hour. Put in some diced chicken, thin to desired thickness with water or broth, and season to taste.
WHEAT BERRY TABOULI
Cook the wheat or barley berries (1 c berries; 2 c water) until done (about an hour), rinse in a strainer, cool, and substitute into your favorite tabouli recipe.
- 2 c cooked wheat berries (or de-hulled barley berries, or a mix)
- 1-2 shallots or green onions
- 2 Tbls sweet relish
- 2 Tbls olive oil
Toss ingredients together, season to taste with balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper. Add diced sweet peppers, broccoli, green beans, or other vegetables, or even fruits. There is lots of room for experimentation here! Serve chilled
BARLEY/WHEAT FRUIT MUFFINS
In medium mixing bowl, combine & set aside:
- 2 c flour ( up to 100% barley, but we usually do 50%)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5+ T of sugar or other sweetener
- 1 or 2 eggs
- 1/4 c light olive oil
- 3/4 c milk
Combine wet and dry ingredients. Stir in 1 c chopped fruit (apricots, apples, raisins, cranberries, cherries). Bake at 350° F for 18-20 min. Cool 10 min.