CRACKED WHEAT CEREAL, serves 2
- Crack 1/2 cup of wheat berries in blender (30-45 sec on high speed, depending on desired texture). Or grind coarsely in hand mill.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to boil in a saucepan.
- Stir cracked wheat berries into boiling water, and immediately turn down heat.
- Simmer 20-25 min until desired texture attained.
- Add dried fruit and/or nuts, as desired.
COOKED WHEAT OR BARLEY BERRIES
Bring 1 c of wheat berries to a boil with 2 c of water (or broth), and simmer covered until done (about an hour). Drain off excess water. Use as you would rice.
WHOLE GRAIN CHICKEN SOUP
Add 1 cup of wheat or barley berries to 2 1/2 cups of liquid (1-2 c broth; the rest water) and bring to a boil. Add chopped carrots. Simmer for an hour. Put in some diced chicken, thin to desired thickness with water or broth, and season to taste.
WHEAT BERRY TABOULI
Cook the wheat berries (1 c wheat berries; 2 c water) until done (about an hour), rinse in a strainer, cool, and substitute into your favorite tabouli recipe (or any wheat berry salad recipe, for that matter).
- 2 c cooked wheat berries (or de-hulled barley berries, or a mix)
- 1-2 shallots or green onions
- 2 Tbls sweet relish
- 2 Tbls olive oil
Toss ingredients together, season to taste with balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper. Serve chilled
BARLEY/WHEAT FRUIT MUFFINS
In large mixing bowl, combine & set aside:
- 2 c flour ( up to 100% barley)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Whisk together until smooth:
- 1 c (8 oz) vanilla yogurt, low-fat
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 c light olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Pour into dry mixture until just combined. Stir in 1/2 c chopped dried fruit (apricots, apples, raisins, cranberries, cherries). Bake at 375° F for 15-18 min. Cool 10 min.